Saturday, July 10, 2010

Auto Mechanics Pay




The rest of this article pertains to mechanics/technicians that are working for the "MAN" and not pertaining to repair shop or dealer owners. So, the question is, are automotive technicians making large amounts of money? I have now been at the same dealer for 24 years and retirement is just around the corner.

I spent my entire working career in four dealers and six years in an independent transmission shop as the head transmission rebuilder. After a two year hitch in the army I started working in a front end repair shop, and then went to a new car dealer as a mechanic. I started as an apprentice in a gas station. After graduating high school in 1962 I went on to a technical school for training in the automotive field.

A little about myself to justify that I know what goes on in the automotive business. This article may be a little long but it is something that has been in the back of my mind for some time now. Read on. In fact for the high technology of today's vehicles, the amount of training required, the tool investment, the poor labor rate provided by the manufacturers and the plan a technician gets paid with makes him in my opinion grossly under paid. This article will explain that this is not so.

The general public has a misconception that automobile mechanics make a lot of money, more so than most trades are paying.

No comments:

Post a Comment